Thursday 20 August 2015

The doctors diagnosis puts a fork in it.

Today I am sorry to announce that I will not be finishing the trail.  After a few days of recuperation
 my foot began to feel better but after a little swimming and a small walk it started to degrade again with pain in the opposite foot also.

I decided to go home from Barcelona yesterday and see my doctor. Today he has diagnosed Achilles Tendonitis on both sides.  I have been advised to rest for a month and refrain from excessive sport for a month afterwards.

This is a huge blow to what I thought was a setback and I'm pretty down right now.  I know I have seen some amazing things on the days I have completed and I will use this next month or so to plan section hiking the route over the winter and into next spring.

The most disappointing thing about this whole situation is the time, effort and money I put into this.
I was explaining to a friend that although I have seen some amazing scenery and climbed some great mountains in my six months prep, It was all leading to this month.  I went through days of cold, crap weather in the knowledge that it was all leading to something.

I'm going to take this down time to reflect and plan for the future as this is unfinished business for me.  The blog will remain and my future exploits will be documented.  This is not over!

The unhappy marmot.


No comments:

Post a Comment